You’ve got an interview – but how do you ensure that you make the best impression? What should you do before the interview?
Below is some guidance and advice from us here at Montash.
- Do your research beforehand and know the exact address of where you are meant to attend and the time of your interview
- Ensure you do your research on the company and the job that you are interviewing for
- Dress to impress in a professional manner but ensure you check the dress code with your recruitment agency. Some start-up companies make a point of not wanting suits, but you should be told this in advance.
- Arrive 5 to 10 minutes early for the interview
- Wait to be offered a chair before sitting
- Smile – people will naturally smile back and the atmosphere will instantly be calmer
- Maintain good body language and posture at all times
- Greet the interviewer with a firm handshake and maintain good eye contact throughout
- Show enthusiasm about the position and company you are interviewing with
- Try and get the business cards from your interviewer
- Ask questions about the company and its history
- Remember to ask at the end of the interview when you should expect to hear back from the company
- Do thank interviewer(s) for their time
Written by Vicky Jones, Montash Head of Marketing & Communications