Bill Gates Topped the List With the #1 Spot; Gates Has Been #1 for 15 of the last 20 Years
A Record 1,645 Billionaires Made the 2014 List of the World’s Richest People with an Aggregate Net Worth of $6.4 Trillion, Up from $5.4 Trillion Last Year
New York, NY (March 3, 2014) – Bill Gates (#1) was back on top as the world’s richest person on Forbes’ 28th annual ranking of the world’s billionaires after a four-year hiatus; Gates has topped the list for 15 of the last 20 years. With a net worth of $76 billion, up from $67 billion in 2013, the technology guru moved up on the list by one slot this year. Gates beat out telecom mogul Carlos Slim Helu (#2), who had maintained the #1 spot for the past four consecutive years but lost $1 billion of his net worth, now valued at $72 billion. Spanish clothing retailer Amancio Ortega (best known for the Zara fashion chain) maintained his #3 spot from 2013, but increased his net worth $7 billion for a total of $64 billion, ahead of Warren Buffett (#4) with a net worth of $58.2 billion. American gambling tycoon Sheldon Adelson (#8), increased his net worth by $11.5 billion, and made it back into the top ten for the first time since 2007.
- A record 1,645 billionaires (up from 1,426 in 2013) made the list, with an average net worth of $4.7 billion (up from $4.2 billion in 2013).
- Added together, the total net worth for this year’s billionaires was $6.4 trillion, up from $5.4 trillion last year.
- 1,080 members, or roughly two-thirds of the list, were self-made billionaires; 207 inherited their wealth, another 352 inherited at least a portion but are still growing it.
- This was the first year when a net worth of $31 billion was needed for billionaires to make it into the top 20, up from $23 billion last year. Compared to last year’s list, German entrepreneur Karl Albrecht (#23) dropped out of the top 20, and Google co-founder Sergey Brin (#19) made it into the top 20.
- The biggest net worth gainer was Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg (#21), who more than doubled his fortune from $13.3 billion in 2013 to $28.5 billion as shares of his social network soared. The company’s COO, Sheryl Sandberg (#1,540), made the list for the first time and is featured on one of this year’s six covers.
To read this article in full please click on this link www.forbes.com/billionaires.
Montash is a multi-award winning , global IT recruitment firm. Specialising in permanent and contract positions across mid-senior appointments across a wide range of industry sectors and IT functions including:
ERP, BI & Data, Information Security, IT Architecture & Strategy, Scientific Technologies, Demand IT and Business Engagement, Digital and E-commerce, Infrastructure and Service Delivery, Project and Programme Delivery.
For more information please contact us on +44 (0) 20 7014 0230 or alternatively send us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org.