Pfizer walks away from $118 billion AstraZeneca takeover fight
Pfizer abandoned its attempt to buy AstraZeneca for nearly 70 billion pounds on Monday as a deadline approached without a last-minute change of heart by the British drugmaker.
The decision ends a month-long public fight between two of the world’s biggest pharmaceutical companies that sparked political concerns on both sides of Atlantic over jobs and corporate tax manoeuvres.
British rules now require an enforced cooling-off period. AstraZeneca could reach out to Pfizer after three months and Pfizer could take another run at its smaller British rival in six months time, whether it is invited back or not.
Pfizer’s move came two hours before a 5.00 pm deadline to make a firm offer or walk away, under UK takeover rules. Its decision to quit the stage, at least for now, had been widely expected after AstraZeneca refused its final offer of 55 pounds a share.
“Following the AstraZeneca board’s rejection of the proposal, Pfizer announces that it does not intend to make an offer for AstraZeneca,” Pfizer said in a short news release.
The biggest U.S. drugmaker promised it would not go hostile by taking its offer directly to AstraZeneca shareholders, leaving the fate of what would have been the world’s largest ever drugs merger in the hands of its target, whose board would have had to make a complete U-turn to get a deal done.
Montash is a multi-award winning, global IT recruitment firm. Specialising in permanent and contract positions across mid-senior appointments which cover a wide range of industry sectors and IT functions, including:
ERP, BI & Data, Information Security, IT Architecture & Strategy, Scientific Technologies, Demand IT and Business Engagement, Digital and E-commerce, Infrastructure and Service Delivery, Project and Programme Delivery.
With offices based in London, Montash has completed assignments in over 30 countries and has appointed technical professionals from board level to senior and mid-management in permanent and contract roles.
The security of the UK has been threatened by 188 serious cyber attacks in the last three months, a government security chief has said. National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) Chief Executive Ciaran Martin told The Sunday Times that national security was put at risk by many of these attacks. Martin was speaking ahead of the official opening of the NCSC, which has been set up to protect critical services in the UK from such attacks and improve underlying i...
Data from the UK has shown that the cyber security workforce has grown considerably over the past five years. According to a new report from cyber skills promotion network Tech Partnership, there are now 58,000 more workers in this industry – a rise of 163 per cent. It shows the growing importance of these professionals, with firms across a vast range of industries turning to cyber security specialists to safeguard their data. To collate the report, the...