My client, a large multinational financial services company based in the heart of London are looking for a DevOps Lead to join their expanding DevOps function and lead a team of skilled engineers.
The DevOps Lead is responsible for defining, architecting, creating and running an efficient DevOps lifecycle, including the appropriate tools, environments and processes to enable the deployment of features globally into production both quickly and safely, whilst also ensuring a high availability service that is cost effective and delivered to the IT Business Units. All architected tools, environments and processes must align to the agreed control framework and align to the relevant IT strategies
This is a unique opportunity for a senior technologist with a customer centric mindset to get involved in an exciting position. As a DevOps Lead your primary role will be to mentor and lead a team of DevOps engineers to continuously innovate and develop our cloud platform using the latest cloud, open source and CI/CD technologies.
What you'll do in more detail:
- Design and development of cloud platform features and enhancements using the approved automation and CI/CD tooling
- Recognise areas for improvement within the cloud platform around automation, CI/CD, and platform reliability
- Develop a strong culture of technical excellence and solid DevOps skills within your team
- Promote personal and growth within the DevOps team including experimentation with new bleeding-edge technologies
- Defining an effective development environment for our developers focussed on developer productivity and satisfaction, but continuing to provide effective security measures.
- Act as a DevOps evangelist across the business, helping people understand the benefits, challenges and implications of adopting DevOps, and helping our teams move to this model
- Outline and document the standards for other teams to follow when delivering automation and tooling changes
- Build relationships & collaborate across the Architecture community to establish and implement consistent architecture across all Digital platforms which delivers company future technology needs and approved by relevant governing bodies (Group Architecture Board, CISO, Data governance)
- Define and support continuous delivery approach including tooling and automated testing and deployments
- Management of all environments including maintaining an evergreen estate.
- Proactively manage environment costs to remain in budget and identify opportunities to reduce cost
- Establish, implement and manage access controls for our environments to keep the business safe
- Identify and implement external perspectives to drive improvements to improve quality, increase resilience and reduce downtime
- Identify and own best practice for DevOps and migrate each team to that standard
- Build and maintain a strong relationship with architecture and CIO teams to enable the highest level of understanding of the cloud platform environments, features and stacks
- Research, plan and implement relevant solutions in collaboration with operations, architecture and development teams
- Actively communicate with your Platform product owner to ensure that you are and your team always delivering to the product owners requirements.
- Join sprint planning and retrospectives, and prioritise and manage your work using planning tools e.g. Jira
- Create custom monitoring components to provide deep monitoring of application estate, and integrate ideally to monitoring platforms.
- Manage the uptime of platform systems, and resolve outages (as agreed with cloud operations)
- Ensure that necessary documentation exists for Cloud Operations Engineers to resolve P1 incidents on a 24x7 basis
- Safeguard core DevOps methodologies are implemented to highest standard across environments.
- Ensuring your team members are actively upskilling and sharing knowledge with their team members so cover can be provided where appropriate
What you'll need:
- Be an expert in DevOps tooling design and methodologies
- Strong relevant technical experience in related roles
- Demonstrable proficiency in programming and scripting languages e.g. Python, Ruby, Go, Bash, PowerShell
- Excellent configuration management tooling knowledge e.g. Puppet, or Ansible
- Advanced infrastructure-as-code software experience e.g. Terraform, Cloudformation
- Experience with automated testing tools such as ServerSpec
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration - Continuous Deployment pipelines e.g. Jenkins
- Recognised proficiency with Amazon AWS (e.g. VPC, EC2, S3, Lambda, DynamoDB, RDS etc).
- Advanced Linux and/or Windows systems administration skills
- Knowledgeable with version control technologies e.g. Subversion or Git
- Experience leading project teams with Agile collaboration and project management tooling e.g Kanban or Scrum)
- Outstanding planning and communication skills and able to lead conversations with development and product teams
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Highly motivated, proactive, strong eye for details, persistent and consistent with a passion for learning new technologies
- Excellent analytical and documentation skills
- Experience of introducing DevOps within large corporate organisations
- Influencing and negotiation experience
- Proven track on developing and running DevOps teams within a heavily regulated organisation
- Proven experience of mentoring and training others
- Certified to AWS Associate level
- Experience with containerisation tools e.g. Docker, ECS, Kubernetes.
- Demonstration of example projects in public repositories (e.g. GitHub, BitBucket) and/or relevant blogs