Montash have been engaged by a leading consultancy to source an MI System Analyst for an initial 6 month contract based in Westminster, London. BPSS clearance is required to start this role.
You will be working on an MI Project, and be tasked with delivering a new data platform to support reporting and data analysis within the organisation. The platform requires the ingestion of data from numerous sources, both old and new, and the provision of tooling to allow authorised users to perform their work on the data.
An essential element of the new platform is the provision of a knowledge base for the data that it stores. We need someone to take on the task of building the repository of
meta-data for the data that we manage on the platform. This should identify and describe the different data elements and also identify known issues with the data and give an idea of reliability so that users can understand the consequences of using the data.
The main activities for the role are:
- Engage with System owners, Business Analysts and other Subject Matter Experts to gain an understanding of the data provided by source systems.
- Create a document base of meta-data that can be used by the data consumers to understand the data. This should include:
- Data source
- Data structure
- Version information (of source and structure)
- Field level data descriptions
- Known issues, (eg. some fields not set correctly)
- Reliability measures (possibly a graded indicator)
- The knowledge base should provide a consistent format for accessing information about data from all sources.
- The knowledge base should also support the incorporation of feedback/comments from users to provide the best possible understanding of the data and its potential issues.
- The candidate should also help to identify appropriate tools and processes for managing this information into the future.
The role would suit a system analyst who has an understanding of data management concepts.
- Must be able to engage with technical system owners to understand the format and structures of data extracted from systems, eg. csv, xml, JSON
- Must have an elementary understanding of SQL and how it can be used to query and extract data from systems.
- Must be able to produce high quality documentation and reference material, (eg. tables), that illuminate complex information for a general audience.
The role requires someone who is dedicated to the task and works with a focused attention to detail. The candidate should also be a good communicator who is happy to seek out and engage with data SMEs on their own initiative as required.