Data Communications Network Engineer (Alcatel backbone)
£53,000 - £63,000
Montash are currently retained by a global telecommunications company seeking a Data Communications Network Engineer. In this exciting new role, you will complement the current team to monitor, configure, troubleshoot and expand the backbone and transmission networks of the client.
Role and responsibilities
- Provide data and voice network expertise on the enhancement of the Group backbone and transmission networks.
- Will be responsible and the design authority for the Alcatel transmission equipment, which carries data as well emulated TDMs.
- Provide Level 2/3 and higher support for the client back-bone; Level 1 role is covered by the Clients 24/7 NOC
- As part of the team plan and closely integrate and converge the different transport/transmission networks of the group.
- Investigate, propose and implement enhancement to improve the efficiency and performances of the backbone and site networks.
- As part of the team liaise with system owners and users to design, implement and operate interconnection for the various clients services.
- Provide Backbone DCN expertise within Client and external entities as requested.
- Ensure high level of security standards are maintained and operated across the DCN
- Maintain, expand and upgrade the monitoring tools as required to ensure their continued reliability.
- As part of the team participate in the daily monitoring of DCN and investigation of any issues to a conclusion
- Provide support on DCN related issues to NOC, Satellite Access sites, Distribution Partners and third parties
- General User support for DCN related issues
- Be part of the team that provides on-call support for the DCN
- Network / System Troubleshooting as required.
- Other general duties as required
- The post will require some travel to Client's remote offices, and work during maintenance windows when required.
Essential knowledge and skills
- University degree level education or equivalent in Computer Science, Data Communications, Networking or related subjects
- CCNP or equivalent level of expertise on routers, switches and network design and technologies obtained in network and security related roles
- Minimum of 7 years proven experience of working in a network environment configuring, monitoring and troubleshooting Cisco routers, switches, firewalls and monitoring devices
- Proven experience in designing, implementing and monitoring Carrier and backbone Networks
- Proven Experience in configuring and managing Alcatel 7705 SAR and 5620 SAM
- Experience of configuring, implementing and operating Service Provider Switching/Routing in various platforms, e.g. Cisco ASR 1K/9K, Metro Ethernet Switches
- In-depth knowledge and proven application of advanced routing (OSPF, ISIS, BGP) in larger networks with high availability
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the working and operation of MBGP, MPLS VPNs, L3 VPN's, VPLS, L2 tunnels over MPLS, Traffic Engineering, Inter AS VPN's, Carrier to Carrier MPLS
- Experience on TDM circuit emulation technologies, VoIP and QoS.
- Generally proficient in using, installing and maintaining Windows and Linux / Solaris computer systems; advanced user/operator level with scripting knowledge.
- Knowledge of ancillary network tools like Radius, DNS and other monitoring / troubleshooting tools (Wireshark, tcpdump, iperf, Ixia, …) would be advantageous
- Fluent with Microsoft Office components especially Visio
- Willingness to learn new skills and be self-motivated
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work under pressure and show flexibility
- A co-operative but assertive personality
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
If this opportunity is of interest and sounds like the next role for you, please contact Ellie White at email@example.com or on 0207 014 0230.