Head of engineering / Development manager / VP of engineering / Engineering Manager / Software manager / Head of Software development / Software Development Manager
Salary: £70,000 - £82,000 + car allowance + bonus + benefits
My client a global E-commerce company are looking for a technical services manager to join their established team.
As the Head of engineering you will be tasked with managing Programme / Project managers in the UK that oversee 50 / 60 offshore developers. You will have a strong background of managing development and test teams with a blended mix of onshore, nearshore and offshore resources. Your direct reports will grow within the first few years of employment as a number of global projects ae implemented.
You will act as the delivery authority for our software engineering teams and provide technical leadership during the development, build, test and deployment phases, ensuring all engineering teams are working to best practice. You will be responsible for the full software development lifecycle internally within the teams as well as working with external stakeholders such as business executives and programme managers to resolve issues. Planning and managing scope and resources to deliver new features will be a core responsibility. You will help us transition our current processes into a best in class dev-ops approach to building and releasing features.
My client is looking for a rare blend of core technical understanding across the full technology stack, coupled with the ability to manage very senior stakeholders around the world.
* Experience of end to end Big Data oriented projects - inception to go-live
* Experience of delivering business intelligent capability, either as structured data warehouses or as KPI dashboards onto existing systems.
* Proven experience as development and test manager for complex systems using multiple technologies and managing teams of 50+ people.
* Comfortable managing remote teams of developers and testers around the world, each using different technology sets and concepts (e.g. unstructured data vs RDBMS, BI tools vs Java vs .NET) would be highly desirable as would some background in structured data storage such as RDBMS and SQL.
* Previous development experience building on the AWS serverless technology stack along with hands on use of the AWS APIs would be highly advantageous.
* Background in agile development process with a desire to move to full DevOps
* Retained sufficient coding skill to be able to build small proof of concept demonstrators as needed to guide technical staff
* Able to promote best practice throughout all delivery teams and know instinctively when an existing practice is not helpful or carries unacceptable risk
* Able to use planning tools such as Jira and Microsoft Project to ensure commitments made to overall milestones can be justified by current status of sprints and feature backlog.
* Able to support QA managers in delivering best practice around automated functional testing, performance testing and penetration testing.
Overall knowledge of Hadoop technology ecosystem - HDFS, Spark, Impala, Hbase, Kafka, Flume, Sqoop, Oozie, SPARK, Avro, Parquet and the Amazon Web Services serverless stack for big data and analytics
If you are interested in the above, please apply now.