Role: Head of IT Operations
Location: West Kensington
Salary: £70-80K + bonus + bens
Skills: AWS, Powershell, Puppet, Jenkins, Windows, Linux, VMWare, Citrix, AD, DNS, DHCP, ITIL.
As a Head of IT Operations, you will lead a team of 13 in day to day operations of the private cloud (AWS), data centre, network, and ensure great support for academic and business activities.
You will also lead high-impact business transformation projects such as migration to the cloud and deliver them on time, to budget and required quality.
You will participate in the IT risk, security and compliance programme to ensure that IT infrastructure meets regulatory and compliance goals.
Day to day operations
- Manage data centre operations: operate and monitor all production environments on a regular basis such that they are available as per service level requirements.
- Manage infrastructure, network, classrooms and labs to satisfy all performance and security requirements.
- Provide network design, installation, and maintenance including performing routine network administration and troubleshooting. Incorporate security requirements into Network architecture.
- Perform root cause analysis and follow-up activities related to significant problems in production and back office environments.
- Ensure the design, development, and implementation of performance needs; monitor performance; and provide overall performance optimization and design recommendations for infrastructure.
- Lead asset management for hardware, software, and equipment.
- Manage staff and related activities such as recruitment, supervision, performance evaluations.
- Develop progression plan for each staff member and provide support for the staff to achieve these.
Planning and Projects
- Develop and maintain long term roadmaps for overall Infrastructure Architecture and to deliver end-to-end solutions.
- Lead key transformation projects related to infrastructure and academic support.
- Ensure service desk meets users expectations
- Oversee solutions repository and ensure top quality solutions are available to the staff.
- Develops Service and Business Level Agreements to set expectations and measure performance.
- Take overall responsibility for incident management and request fulfilment on the Service Desk.
- Provide data and reporting of KPI's and trends to IT department and others in ad-hoc, weekly, monthly and as needed.
- Manage process for communicating outage/emergency activities to the organization.
- Develop and manage vendor partnerships for cost effectiveness and quality service.
- Develop DR/BC plans, policies, and procedures. Oversee testing of these procedures
Risk management, security and compliance programme
- Ensure IT general controls are adhered to.
- Record evidence for general controls on a regular basis
- Support data loss protection setup for key information
- Participate in User role review and administrator role review
- 4 years of experience in a similar role
- Experience in migrating to a cloud environment
- Amazon web services
- Puppet and Jenkins
- Strong technical knowledge in managing infrastructure
- Strong knowledge of network and server security
- Knowledge and experience of promotion strategies for applications and databases across development and production environments
- Be highly organised and a great multi-tasker
- Global mind-set and ability to think across cultures, functions and scenarios
- Self-starter, strong initiative & leadership
- Demonstrated success in managing projects
- Great written and oral communication skills.
- Degree in Information technology (Information Systems…) or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience using Agile principles, tools and techniques
- Windows Operating Systems and Linux
- VLAN and Firewall policies
- VMware and administration
- Citrix Xenapp
- Server administration tasks (Active Directory, GPO, File and printer Management, DNS, DHCP, IIS, WSUS, Exchange)
- Network - FortiGate Firewall, Cisco & D-Link Switches, Aruba wireless
- Prior experience in higher education industry
- Ability to drive large multi-functional projects
- ITIL certified